"The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) unites and supports the cancer community to reduce the global cancer burden, to promote greater equity, and to ensure that cancer control continues to be a priority in the world health and development agenda."
The Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute (NKBCI) at the American University of Beirut Medical Center is the leading center for academic oncology, hematology and bone marrow transplantation in Lebanon involved in the diagnosis and treatment of over 2500 patients annually from Lebanon and the region.
The NKBCI is involved in all aspects of cancer control with strategic priorities aligned with those of UICC. Specific activities include:
• Work with the American University of Beirut Faculty of Health Sciences on Tobacco Control in the region
• Work on cancer epidemiology in the region and support of the Lebanese national cancer registry
• Advocacy work with the Lebanese Breast Cancer Foundation to promote early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
• Faculty members are involved in the Lebanese national committee for palliative care and work towards improving access to opiates
• Providing educational activities and advanced training in oncology/hematology for doctors, nurse and pharmacists from Lebanon and the Middle East including training programs specifically for health-care professionals from Palestine and Iraq.
• Educational and academic collaborations with major cancer centers in the United States (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and MD Anderson), and the Middle East Region (King Hussein Cancer Center in Jordan and King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center).