"The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) unites and supports the cancer community to reduce the global cancer burden, to promote greater equity, and to ensure that cancer control continues to be a priority in the world health and development agenda."
With a little more than 3 years of existence, Oncoguia Institute is fast becoming one of the leading nongovernmental organizations in fighting cancer in Brazil. Our mission is to stop the prejudice, suffering and deaths caused by cancer in the country, through Education, Awareness, Support and Advocacy actions.
Our main programs are:
Oncoguia Portal – www.oncoguia.org.br :
• The most complete source of information about cancer, treatments, updates and useful tips on quality of life in Brazil.
• A channel for testimonials and for the exchange of experiences among patients and their family members.
• Quality information certified by the Health on the Net Code of Conduct seal, granted by the Swiss organization Health on the Net Foundation.
Unique program to support the cancer patient:
• Toll-free call service that provides orientation and clarification of patients´, family members´ and the general public´s doubts on prevention, cancer treatment, quality of life, patients´ legal benefits and rights (0800 773 1666).
Advocacy actions focused on improving and monitoring Brazil´s public policies for cancer, and on guaranteeing and defending cancer patients ´rights:
• Actions towards the Government (Ministry of Health, National Institute of Cancer, Anvisa, ANS, etc) aiming at guaranteeing that the rights to health are met and guaranteed to all.
• Proposition and monitoring of bills that may benefit the cancer patient.
• Promoting national awareness campaigns on the social networks, and spreading out quality information on cancer and on health attention.
• We have more than 7500 Friends in our official page on Facebook and more than 2200 followers on Twitter, including the Minister of Health, governmental institutions, public and private hospitals and other NGOs.
• Guideline for the Rights of the Cancer Patients (on the portal and on a printed version).
• Educational resources focused on prevention and quality of life.
• Focus on the cancer patient: more quality during the treatment and other themes.
• Focus on companies: taking care of the employee´s health.
• Focus on the general population: prevention and early detection now!
In the past years, we have also had international partnerships with:
• American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen for the Cure